5 Maintenance Tips to Help Prevent Roof Leaks
click here for the newest tips!
We are proud to be the Roofing Contractor of choice for St. Catharines, Welland, Niagara Falls, Fonthill, Thorold, Port Colborne and the surrounding Niagara Region since 1995!
Every few months,
take a good look at your roof – especially after a rain storm or high wind. If there are any roofing shingles missing, have them replaced immediately. Visually inspect the dormers, valleys and flashing for signs of leaks, too.
Make sure there’s no debris on your roof. A build-up of leaves, especially on a low-slope or flat roof, can trap and hold water which could eventually work its way through the roof deck and into your home. Clear away leaves with a leaf blower.
Keep your eavestroughs clear so water can run away to the ground and not back up along your roof line where it could get underneath your shingles or freeze and create an ice dam.
Look for ceramic granules in your eavestrough. It’s perfectly normal for your shingles to lose some of their granules over time and in weather. However, if you find a lot of granules, check your shingles for bald spots where too many granules have worn away, leaving the asphalt exposed and vulnerable. Replace any such shingles right away.
If you live in a maritime climate or an area of high humidity and you have a light colored roof, you may notice some black streaks. These are caused by algae growth. Although they look unattractive, they won’t affect the performance of your roof shingles. You can avoid the problem right off the bat by choosing an algae-resistant asphalt shingle. Look for this specification when selecting your shingles or ask your roofing contractor.
How to chose the right contractor
Picking the right contractor the first time can help guarantee you will get the most out of your roof. Improper installation can effect the lifetime of your roof and can cause more damage to your home. Any roof, no matter how old it is, will have problems if not installed correctly. The contractor you choose can have a big impact on the quality and price of your roofing repairs or replacement. Your home is probably the most expensive investment you’ll ever make so when you need someone to do repairs on your roof, it’s important that you find the right contactor for the job.
Here are some reasons why picking the right roofing contractor is important:
- Roofing work can be more difficult than it first appears. The right contractor will be able to do a good, professional job whereas the wrong one can easily make things worse and cause more damage. The cost upfront may be less, but in the end it will cost much more to fix a poorly installed roof.
- They will use quality materials as opposed to using the cheapest materials they can get by with, which means the roof will last longer.
- They will have experience working with and repairing the type of roof your home has.
- The job will be started and completely in a timely manner, not dragged out for weeks or months.
- They will always act professional and treat you with respect. This is important because the roofers may be around for awhile depending on the job and you don’t want to be made to feel uncomfortable in your own home.
- They will be licensed. They will also be insured so if an accident occurs, you won’t be responsible.
- The right roofing contractor will provide you with a detailed quote and a written guarantee. You can rest easy the job will be done right.
Most homeowners spend thousands of dollars on furniture, carpets and personal belongings, all of which is protected by your roof. The right roofing contractor will guarantee you get professional service that will take care of your problems so you don’t have to worry about water leaks ruining your investments.
As A Certified Installer We Guarantee to:
- Be Knowledgeable
- Provide a Detialed Quote
- Use Magnetic Cleanup
- Provide References
- Be Insured
- Be Fair Priced:
- Trusted & Tested: been in business since 1995
- Financially Stable
- Provide Experienced Problem Prevention:
- Use Only Quality Products
- Understand Neighbourhood and respect your premises and those adjacent to you
- Offer the Best Warranties